Friday 18 February 2011

Vintage Heroine - Judy Garland...


I love musicals...I blame my Mother for this as she can replay the Sound of Music word for word...and unfortunately song for song.
I am probably at my happiest sitting in front of a fire watching a musical....possibly with a mountain of chocolate and a gin. So to help celebrate the wonderful world of musical film stars...known for their fab clothes here is my musical vintage heroine....Judy Garland.
The first musical I ever saw was Meet Me in St Louis......BLOODY AMAZING...and I can't be wrong as said film was featured in Sex and the City so clearly it is ultra fashionable. If you haven't seen it grab yourself a copy ASAP.
Best part of the film though was Judy Garland....
Judy Garland born June 10, 1922  was an American actress and singer. Through a career that spanned 45 of her 47 years, Garland attained international stardom as an actress in musical and dramatic roles, as a recording artist and on the concert stage. 
After appearing in vaudeville with her sisters, Garland was signed to Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer as a teenager. There she made more than two dozen films, including nine with Mickey Rooney and the 1939 film with which she would be most identified, The Wizard of Oz.
Despite her professional triumphs, Garland battled personal problems throughout her life. Insecure about her appearance (god knows why as I would love love LOVE to look like her), her feelings were compounded by film executives who told her she was unattractive (nasty bastards) and manipulated her on-screen physical appearance. Garland was plagued by financial instability (....so many similarities), often owing hundreds of thousands of dollars in back taxes. She married five times, with her first four marriages ending in divorce. Garland died of an accidental drug overdose at the age of 47 (...hhhhmmmm....I am hoping the similarities end with the financial instability..!!).
Here are my favourite looks






Rumour has it that Anne Hathaway is sent to play Judy Garland in a film about her life...although no one can beat Judy Garland I have a feeling the film will be a treat and I will blub most of the way through it...!!

No comments:

Post a Comment